Today I was updating a release of a Windows 8 app and hit the following expired certificate error:
The certificate specified has expired. For more information about renewing certificates, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=241478.
The documentation link for this error wasn't very helpful, and my first attempt at correcting the problem gave me the following error as well:
The Publisher attribute of the Identity element in the app manifest must have the value of the Publisher ID value from your developer account: CN=XXXX-XXX-XXXXX-XXXXX.
So, I thought I'd walk through what I had to do to correct this.
- First open your package.appxmanifest file and go to the Packaging tab.
- Copy your Publisher Id to the Clipboard (don't take the CN= part, just take the ID)
- Now click the "Choose Certificate" button
- Click the "Configure Certificate" dropdown and choose "Create Test Certificate"
- In the Publisher Common Name field, paste your Publisher Id that you copied to the clipboard above, then Click OK.
- You should now be able to build/deploy your app.